Isaiah 55:8 (KJV)

Isaiah 55:8 (KJV)
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD."

Thursday, January 24, 2013

"Offend ME with Your Love" (one has to start somewhere)

I heard these words come out of my mouth the other day, “Offend ME with Your Love”.  I thought it was somewhat catchy and therefore indicated it would be the title to my next book.  “You have to start somewhere”, I was told, “I guess you started with a title.”  And now I have started a blog.  In the course of things, we will come to find out what exactly is meant by such a phrase.  I suppose I have in mind the “offense” which is the Cross, and generally speaking how the ways of the Lord are not the ways of this world; and the LORD’s ways are not my ways.  So “political correctness” aside I would not mind discussing and challenging some of the common sensibilities of my society in this day and age.

I was joking with some people that one of my “NEW YEARS RESOLUTIONS” was to be mad at everyone for no reason.  Of course that would make me doltish.  “What would that accomplish?”  Really though, I do intend to be mindful of things that offend me.  Not so I can focus that attention on the offender,  hopefully with the mind of Christ and the Spirit of the Lord, I can allow myself to ascertain “what is at the heart of the matter” and allow the redemptive, sanctification work of the cross to have it’s way in me. 

For a more practical sounding approach to seeing offense as a "problem of the self" and a list of ways to help to choose not to be offended, check out "How to Choose to Not Be Offended"

No comments:

Post a Comment